A nice PRL just appeared by Lara Cano-Cortes, Jaime Merino, and Simone Fratini, Quantum critical behaviour of electrons at the edge of charge order. They consider an extended Hubbard model at one-quarter filling. As the intersite Coulomb repulsion V increases there is a quantum phase transition from a metallic Fermi liquid phase to a charge ordered phase. The striking finding is that the coherence temperature, below which quasi-particles exist, approaches zero as the transition is approached.
I also found the paper interesting because this model is directly relevant to a class of organic charge transfer salts, as discussed in a PRB by myself, Jaime, Brad Marston, and Oleg Sushkov.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...

No comments:
Post a Comment