The recent floods in Brisbane highlighted to me how we always need to be prepared for low probability-high impact events. So I went out and bought a second hard drive for backup. I realised that having a laptop and backup in the same location is not sufficient. Fires, floods, and theft do happen. So don't just back up now. Get a second one in a different location. Furthermore, the earlier you are in your career the more important this is. Losing your thesis or all your data is the worst thing that can happen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
Another good option for essential documents is the service Dropbox. It automatically synchronizes your files across whichever computers you have it installed on and keeps a backup (including the last 30 days of changes) in the cloud and available online. It's even better than a hard drive in some sense because it's effectively always plugged in if you're online.
ReplyDeleteThe free service only includes 2GB of space, but that's enough for my needs, especially since there are a few ways to get extra space free. Speaking of which, if you sign up you should use my referral link so we both get a bonus: http://db.tt/PZNNkBG
Stephan has suggested a very good option. I'm also a dropbox user and it is, indeed, easy and good to use.
ReplyDeleteOther services as Mozy also offer free online backup but the data is directly saved to their servers instead of having it synchronized among cpus. Take a look!
Cheers