Monday, September 6, 2010
What did Escher know?
In the interesting physics colloquium that Marcelo Gleiser gave on friday at UQ he used the Escher print above to illustrate CP symmetry in a system which violates both C and P symmetry.
[C is charge conjugation and P is parity].
I found the image here.
Another example of breaking of a symmetry while conserving a combined symmetry concerns vibronic transitions in molecules. For molecules which have inversion symmetry selection rules suggest that electronic transitions that involve no change in parity should not be observed. However, they sometimes are because they are combined with a vibrational transition. Hence, vibronic [= vib(rational)-(elect)ronic] transitions. I think the first observed case of this may have been in benzene.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...

No comments:
Post a Comment