Tuesday, September 14, 2010
A new spin liquid material?
Many previous posts have discussed the Heisenberg model on the anisotropic triangular lattice which is relevant to the Mott insulating phase in a range of organic charge transfer salts and Cs2CuCl4.
A recent paper suggested that CuNCN is also described by this model, based on DFT based [GGA + U] calculations for the measured crystal structure. They found J1/J2 ~ 0.8 meaning the system could have a spin liquid ground state.
I found this quite exciting.
However, last year some of the same authors suggested a different point of view here, based on a hypothetical crystal structure. I do not follow the arguments in the second paper. Experimentally they do not observe magnetic moments and that motivates looking at alternative crystal structures without antiferromagnetic interactions [at the Hartree-Fock level].
But a non-magnetic ground state is just what you expect for the relevant Heisenberg model in the parameter regime of the first paper.
I think the material and these important questions warrant further study.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...

No comments:
Post a Comment