Charles Coulson is one of my scientific heroes. I love his book Valence, which help shape the development of quantum chemistry. With Danielsson he published two often cited papers on a valence bond theory of the hydrogen bond in 1954. But they are in a now defunct journal Akiv fur Fysik, published by the Swedish Academy of Sciences from 1949 to 1974. I could not find the article online by managing to get a copy from the Warehouse of the UQ library. So I post a copy here in case others would like to read this classic paper. Just the conclusion is worth reading.
One minor comment. The authors consider a basis of 3 valence bond states. Two of these involve the ionic and covalent components of an O-H bond in the donor molecule. Hence, it may be possible to combine these both into a single diabatic state describing the full O-H bond. I think this is essentially what is done in Warshel's empirical valence bond theory of proton transfer reactions.
Trivial aside: Danielsson's address is Swedish Cement and Concrete Research Institute! But, the article says they did the work at Kings College London.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
No comments:
Post a Comment