I must be getting old. Often as people get older they start to trace their family genealogy to learn "where they came from". I had been told since I was a child that my paternal great-great-grandfather was Samuel Shannon, one of the first Jewish settlers in Australia.
But, I had heard that scientists sometimes like to trace their academic lineage, where their Ph.D advisor is their parent, and the advisor of their advisor is their grandparent, and so on. Indeed there is a Mathematics Genealogy project which traces everyone back to Euler and Gauss...
So I got intrigued and checked out my own lineage. I was oblivious to this, beyond who my "great-grandfather" was. But, I did not know he had such a distinguished lineage. Finding the rest of my lineage was quite easy using Wikipedia because it listed the advisors of most of my "forebears". Here is the line:
Helmholtz
Arthur Webster (Founder of the American Physical Society)
Albert Wills
Isidor Rabi
Julian Schwinger
Walter Kohn
Vinay Ambegaokar
Joe Serene
Jim Sauls
Ross McKenzie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...

My Lineage -
ReplyDeleteGusztáv Buchböck
Michael Polanyi
Eugene Wigner
John Bardeen
J Robert Schrieffer
John W Wilkins
Daniel Cox
The trail goes cold with Buchboeck!