Tonight I am giving a talk to a group of high school students.
They are attending the Queensland Junior Physics Olympiad (JPhO), which is organised each year by UQ Physics.
My brief was to give a basic introduction to my research. Here are the slides from my talk.
I have never given such a talk to a high school audience before.
One of the videos featured was an old BBC documentary on superfluids.
I recommended the following resources for people wanting to learn more:
David Pines article Emergent behavior in quantum matter
A video on Reductionism and emergence featuring Paul Chaikin and Piers Coleman
Bob Laughlin's book A Different Universe: reinventing physics from the bottom up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
Cnogratulations on your very successful first lecture to a high school and general audience! Andrew was right in saying you were able to easily explain complex material! Thank you for your time and inspiring the next generation.
ReplyDeleteKerrie & Dave (parents of JPhO student)