The level of media coverage (and hype) associated with the Higgs boson announcement in July caught me by surprise. But, then I realised that if you spend $10 billion on an experiment there must be some very small fraction associated with publicity and outreach. So I did some Googling and found this CERN document which gives the annual marketing budget as slightly less than $2 million.
Combining this with 10,000 physicists from around the world hitting their local media outlets I should not have been surprised at the level of publicity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
No comments:
Post a Comment