The two faces of chemistry in the developing world is an interesting Commentary in Nature Chemistry by the legendary C.N.R. Rao.
While acknowledging the great advances that India, China, and Brazil have made the past few decades he stresses the incredible challenge to the least developed countries.
There is one statement in the article I disagree with. He states:
I do not know of a single institution in India that is comparable to any of the best institutions in the advanced countries.
I think that, at least in condensed matter physics and chemistry (physical, theoretical, materials), I would rank the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) in Bangalore, ahead of most Australian universities. Some of my Indian colleagues tell me this strength is largely a legacy of C.N.R. Rao. So perhaps he is being modest about his contributions.
Unfortunately though this favourable comparison also exposes the weakness of Australian universities....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
No comments:
Post a Comment