circulated a petition — signed by about 300 economists — calling on the American Economic Association (AEA) to establish a code of conduct requiring that economists who work on the side for financial firms disclose these potential conflicts of interest. That follows a study he and a graduate student completed last year showing that some high-profile economists don’t reveal that they’re paid by financial firms when commenting in academic literature, government testimony, and the media.The Chronicle of Higher Education also has an informative article about the petition, the resulting AEA committee, and some of the past history.....
Thursday, April 14, 2011
Economists consider the price of transparency
Previously I posted about how the movie The Inside Job chronicles how conflicts of interest raise questions about the objectivity of some academic economists. Yesterday, I was interested to read in the Princeton Alumni Weekly an interview with Gerald Epstein (an economist at U. Mass.) who
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
No comments:
Post a Comment