Thursday, March 17, 2011
The beauty of materials
I really like the "popular" book The Cambridge Guide to the Material World by Rodney Cotterill. It was out of print for a while but I was delighted to see that the published issued a new expanded edition in 2008. A scan of the chapter on Crystal structures and symmetry from the first edition here. I encourage my solid state physics students to read this as it has beautiful pictures and gives a nice non-mathematical introduction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...

No comments:
Post a Comment