Key moderating principles I try to keep in mind as I struggle to understand complex molecular materials
-correlation does not imply causality
-extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
-Kauzmann's maxim: people will tend to believe what they want to believe rather than believing what the evidence before them suggests they should believe
-use the method of multiple alternative hypothesis
-be mindful of the dangers of curve fitting
-in systems with many degrees of freedom it is very hard to find control variables, because most variables are not independent of one another
-Feynman's warning: the easiest person to fool is yourself
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
No comments:
Post a Comment