Todays lecture is the first of several dealing with critical points and universality. I will start with a treatment of the van der Waals equation of state and show how with the Maxwel equal area construction it can capture at a semi-quantitative level the thermodynamics of the liquid-vapour transition.
The video of the critical point of carbon dioxide from the Encyclopedia of Physics Demonstrations is really cool. Unfortunately, I have not found anything comparable on Youtube yet.
At some point I also want to
-discuss how van der Waals is really a mean-field theory
-find a decent image for decaffeination of coffee by supercritical carbon dioxide .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
No comments:
Post a Comment