Friday, November 23, 2012

Am I missing something?


The authors claim, 
Resubmissions were significantly more cited than first-intents published the same year in the same journal.... 
... these results should help authors endure the frustration associated with long resubmission processes and encourage them to take the challenge 
Then I looked at the data below to see how strong the claimed effect was.

I think the horizontal lines mark the mean and the box shows the variance.
Hence, it looks to me like citations may increase by less than 10% with resubmission.

This hardly seems on any significance to me.
But, am I missing something?

Maybe this is another issue of comparisons are in the eye of the beholder or the silly claims that journals make about their impact factors or some faculty make about their student evaluations.

No comments:

Post a Comment