Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Public talk on emergence

Every year in Australia there is a week of science outreach events in pubs, Pint of Science. I am giving a talk  tomorrow night, Emergence: from physics to sociology.
Here are the slides.

In the past, when explaining emergence I have liked to use the example of geometry. However, one can argue that a limitation of that case is there are not necessary many interacting components to the system. Hence, I think the example of language, discussed by Michael Polanyi is better.



1 comment:

  1. You have put water is wet and a single H20 molecule is not. There is one interesting application area. For example concentrated emulsions have high percentage of water . However, external moisture due to humidity makes this concentrated emulsions unstable. A minute quantity of water externally can create havoc for emulsion stability,

    ReplyDelete

For my blog Google Analytics has gone weird

I occasionally look at Google Analytics for my blog in the slim hope it might tell me something about the level and nature of interest (or l...