"Table top" science is great.
But how about "table top" nuclear technology?
On the Back Page of the APS News there is an important debate about The Benefits and Risks of Laser Isotope Separation. The science is really interesting, but the prospect of being able to make enriched uranium with a "table top" facility is scary.
I felt Mark Raizen's view that "this will only work for light atoms so we don't have to worry about complex atoms like uranium" is a little naive given the history of science.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
No comments:
Post a Comment