I am told one of the most common (and least kept) New Year's resolutions is to "tame the bulge", i.e. diet and exercise. That is not my subject. Rather, it is taming the academic bulge of every expanding papers, reports, filing cabinets, books, and book cases. Of course, those who do everything electronic do not have to worry about this. It is all on their laptop or iPad. I am not there yet. How do I cope? Not well, but there is a simple rule I have been following at both home and work the past few years that seems to be helping.
Do not buy any new filing cabinets or book cases.
Hence, whenever one buys a new book (or two or three) one has to throw out or give away one (or two or three).
Similarily, when one wants to force new files into a filing cabinet one is forced to throw away some old ones. It is amazing actually how easy this is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...

Is that your office?
ReplyDelete