Marx said that "Quantitative differences become qualitative ones." But a dialogue in Paris from the 1920’s sums it up even more clearly:I often wondered what this was all about. It is worth reading Quote/Counterquote which explains that the dialogue never actually happened.
FITZGERALD: The rich are different from us.HEMMINGWAY: Yes, they have more money.
Friday, November 26, 2010
Money changes you
Phil Anderson finishes his classic More is Different article from Science in 1972 with the cheeky and amusing conclusion:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
No comments:
Post a Comment