Monday, March 2, 2020
What science tattoo would you get?
At the UQ condensed matter theory group meeting, we had an interesting discussion about this question?
A Google image search produces some interesting options.
I don't know if these are real or some are photoshopped.
Would you get an equation, a molecule, a phase diagram, or .... ?
From condensed matter, nothing particularly stands out to me. But I do think that Einstein's gravity equations (above) are pretty amazing.
Maybe
The Theory of Everything
BTW. I am no fan of tattoos and can never imagine getting one of any kind.
So, what science tattoo might you get?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...


Several years ago I met with a prospective student who had a full color tattoo covering one arm. I asked him "Are those Bessel functions?". He said "You are the first person to ever know what they were!!". He joined my group.
ReplyDeleteCarl Zimmer (science writer) has a book called 'Science Ink: Tattoos of the Science Obsessed' with many good examples.
ReplyDeleteIn my personal opinion, I often find science tattoos to be rather cringy and pretentious. It comes off as science worship to me, like getting a tattoo of Feynman or Einstein.
ReplyDeleteSamples here
ReplyDelete1) Be honest in whatever do.
2) Do not cherry pick data.
3) Don't rush to publish.
4) Publish a single author paper
The second one has become a global activity in even luxury journals for hierarchical glory in academia. So " Do not cherry pick data " is a good tatoo for academia.
I have heard that a number of team members who worked on the new definition of the kilogram now have Planck's constant tattoos.
ReplyDeleteMissing part of the equation
ReplyDelete