Monday, March 2, 2020

What science tattoo would you get?


At the UQ condensed matter theory group meeting, we had an interesting discussion about this question?

A Google image search produces some interesting options.
I don't know if these are real or some are photoshopped.

Would you get an equation, a molecule, a phase diagram, or  .... ?

From condensed matter, nothing particularly stands out to me. But I do think that Einstein's gravity equations (above) are pretty amazing.

Maybe
                                              The Theory of Everything


BTW. I am no fan of tattoos and can never imagine getting one of any kind.

So, what science tattoo might you get?

5 comments:

  1. Several years ago I met with a prospective student who had a full color tattoo covering one arm. I asked him "Are those Bessel functions?". He said "You are the first person to ever know what they were!!". He joined my group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carl Zimmer (science writer) has a book called 'Science Ink: Tattoos of the Science Obsessed' with many good examples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my personal opinion, I often find science tattoos to be rather cringy and pretentious. It comes off as science worship to me, like getting a tattoo of Feynman or Einstein.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samples here
    1) Be honest in whatever do.
    2) Do not cherry pick data.
    3) Don't rush to publish.
    4) Publish a single author paper

    The second one has become a global activity in even luxury journals for hierarchical glory in academia. So " Do not cherry pick data " is a good tatoo for academia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard that a number of team members who worked on the new definition of the kilogram now have Planck's constant tattoos.

    ReplyDelete