Recently I was asked by a university to evaluate an individual for tenure and promotion. The process was fascinating and I found refreshing.
The university send me copies of a selection of the individuals papers and a copy of a short CV. I was asked to review the scientific merit of the papers and thus comment on the suitability of the individual for tenure. There was no discussion of grant money received, numbers of Ph.D students graduated, number of publications, citation metrics, university "service", public outreach, journal impact factors, speaking invitations, .....
I found this refreshing, since it was in striking contrast to the values and emphasis of most institutions, which are very concerned with these other criteria, that I consider are secondary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
thank you for your encouraging comment!
ReplyDelete