A while ago I posted about the incredibly rich crystal structure of boron which has a unit cell of hundreds of atoms.
Today at IISER-TVM Jemmis gave me a nice overview of his work [see this paper] showing how this and the associated defect structures emerge naturally from several building blocks including B_12 icosahedra which turn out to be particularly stable.
One call also make fruitful analogies with Huckel type rules associated with aromatic molecules such as benzene.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...

No comments:
Post a Comment