Seth Olsen and I have just finished a paper An Effective Hamiltonian for Symmetric Diarylmethanes from a Series of Analogous Quantum Chemical Models.
Finding simple effective Hamiltonians for classes of complex chemical systems is not easy. Justifying them from quantum chemistry is even harder. We consider a family of organic dye molecules related to Michler's hydrol blue, including auramine-O and malachite green. These molecules are increasingly being used as sensors of the local environment in biomolecules.
The three lowest singlet states can be described by a 3x3 matrix Hamiltonian whose parameters vary across the family of the dyes. This variation appears to be correlated with an empirical parameter [Brown-Okamoto] used to characterise the effect of substituents. There is also a subtle and interesting variation in the character of the diabatic states as one traverses the family of dyes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...

Hi Ross,
ReplyDeleteNice paper :). I have a few comments, if you like.
In 2.2, when introducing the Hamiltonian, I think the point that this is the most general 3 state model allowed by the symmetry could be made earlier (and stronger), before writing any of the individual elements.
The identification of |L>, |R>, |B> as left, right and bridge states could be clearer; possibly even inspired by symmetry arguments when introducing H.
I think the labeling in Fig 2 might be wrong; should the purple "l2b2" state be "b2r2"?
Thanks Jacko; I'm glad you enjoyed it. You're right about the figure error - thanks again, and I'll give the paragraph in 2.2 some special attention. Hope all's well over yonder.
ReplyDelete