Physics Today has in interesting article Raising the scientific level and networking in Africa by Tony Feder.
"Bringing top scientists to Africa has a greater impact than sending individual African scientists abroad."
It features the African School on Electronic Structure Methods and Applications (ASESMA) that was held for two weeks last year. [I am very happy my former student Elvis Shoko was able to attend]. The organisers have obtained funding to hold a similar school every two years through 2020. An excellent feature of the schools is that it is backed up by a year-round mentoring progam.
Nature Physics also had an article about ASESMA.
Aside: I only just received this January 2011 issue of Physics Today in the mail.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
No comments:
Post a Comment