Thursday, August 22, 2024

My mental health update

I have struggled with my mental health on and off since the time of my Ph.D. studies. Several readers have commented that has been helpful for them to hear my story. Here I give a small update on both my health and some recent reading.

I have been thinking about the issue more because I have been invited to give a talk in October for a research centre at UQ, as part of Mental Health Week. I may adapt a talk that I gave for a school colloquium at UQ six years ago. I welcome suggestions for things people think I should talk about.

My mental health is the best it has been for almost a decade. There are probably many reasons for this: retirement, managing stress, no international travel, being connected to a church community, and practising the basics (diet, exercise, less screen time, less caffeine, ...), ...

Until a year ago, I believed I would be on antidepressants for the rest of my life. But my doctor told me we should explore my getting off antidepressants. It is now the view of the medical establishment that there are too many people on them who do not need to be, there can be long-term complications, and that the longer a patient is on them the harder it is to get off them. Over the past 2 years, The Economist had helpful articles along these lines (see below).

In April we agreed that we would start the experiment of reducing my dose, following the now standard practice of slowly reducing the dose every three weeks. He warned me to look for side effects, such as random brain zaps. There were no side effects. I got to zero dosage a month ago.

Unfortunately, I am now experiencing one side effect which I have now learned is not uncommon: uncontrollable sobbing. The first instance was July 21 when I learned that Biden was not going to run again for President. The fact that this triggered ten minutes of sobbing shows there is something not quite right with my brain chemistry!

I had several other incidents with my family. The tears are out of proportion to the significance of the event that triggers them. Sometimes I choke up when talking to people I care about or on an issue that concerns me.

I had an appointment with my doctor this week and we agreed that for now, we would stay the course, not resume the medication, and monitor the situation.

How to make better use of antidepressants: Identify those who really need them, and wean other people off them

(The Economist, October 19, 2022)

Antidepressants are over-prescribed, but genuinely help some patients: In around 15% of cases, they offer large benefits

(The Economist, January 20, 2023)

The graphs above are amazing. They show several striking things.

1. There is a massive placebo effect for antidepressants. This is shown by the two coloured curves being almost identical.
2. There is a massive variation between patients with regard to how effective the drugs are. This is shown by the very broad distribution. It reminds me of journal impact factors: the distribution is so broad that discussions about the mean are meaningless.

Antidepressants can cause withdrawal symptoms – here’s what you need to know

(The Conversation, June 23, 2023)

Psychiatry’s Incurable Hubris: The biology of mental illness is still a mystery, but practitioners don’t want to admit it.

(The Atlantic, April 2019).

Disclaimer. I am not a mental health professional. Mental health is an incredibly complex issue. Everyone is different. Do not take any action based on what you read about my experience. I do not present my experience as an example others should follow. Rather I present my experience so others may know that mental health struggles are not unusual, including among those who may appear to have "successful" lives.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your openness, I enjoy your postings. From this one I can identify the long term effects of our scientific training. Our world view is conditioned by it and we use it in our approach to problems and events in life. The "excessive sobbing" can surely be a problem, but with increasing age I consider the "occational choking up" in the situations you mention as a sign of our growing compassion. In our growing up as males and physicists there was probably not much taught in the direction of compassion and understanding of various situations of others. I am sure we can identify several factors that could make physics a better place for a broader community in many respects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.scientificfreedom.dk/books/
    Mental health book is worth a read if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that other post, now deleted (appropriately so).
    I think you should be applauded for writing about this, for being vulnerable, for raising awareness to something that is not uncommon and deeply affects quite a few in academia (including myself), and for approaching it with a rational mindset but also recognition that humans are complex entities that can't be tuned at will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On another note (though for me personally related to my mental health and why I left active academic research):
    https://hxstem.substack.com/p/this-has-got-to-be-bullshit-personal

    ReplyDelete

Biology is about emergence in subtle ways

Biology is a field that is all about emergence. It exhibits a hierarchy of structures from DNA to proteins to cells to organs to organisms. ...