Thursday, October 22, 2020

What is condensed matter physics? (revised)

I have just rewritten chapter 1 of Condensed Matter Physics: A Very Short Introduction.  I obtained very helpful feedback on my first version from a freelance editor. This has given me fresh eyes for the whole manuscript, which I am now rewriting. She suggested moving some strong material from later chapters into the first chapter, particularly the fact that CMP is all about emergence. I have also benefited from other readers and blog commenters. For example, David Sholl's asked about how CMP is different from other approaches to materials science.

Here is the new version. 

I welcome comments. But, again you are probably not my intended audience. Rather, it is your family, undergraduates, or colleagues in biology or social sciences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are the assumptions of science?

 Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...