I was sorry to hear that Sir John Houghton died on April 15, from complications associated with coronavirus. There is a nice obituary in The New York Times.
He was appointed to an array of distinguished and influential positions, including Professor of Physics at Oxford, Director of Rutherford Appleton Lab, Director of the UK Meteorological Office, and most significantly, lead editor of the first three reports of United Nationas Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
I highly recommend his autobiography, In the Eye of the Storm, which I blogged about a few years ago, highlighting his integrity and influence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
For my blog Google Analytics has gone weird
I occasionally look at Google Analytics for my blog in the slim hope it might tell me something about the level and nature of interest (or l...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
The Ising model is a paradigm in both statistical mechanics and condensed matter physics. Today for most theorists it is so familiar that so...
-
Some of my colleagues and I have started an interesting discussion about how to teach quantum theory to undergraduates. We have courses in t...

No comments:
Post a Comment