It is easy to take for granted many scientific ideas and results that seem commonplace and reasonable to us today. However, when some ideas were first proposed or discoveries made they were greeted with scepticism, and even ridicule.
In 1913 the Braggs determined the crystal structure of sodium chloride. They were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1915. However, as late as 1927, the following letter appeared in Nature.
[Double click if you want to read a larger version].
I recently became aware of this in Crystallography: A Very Short Introduction by A.M. Glazer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...

[chuckle chuckle] Since there are no comments ....
ReplyDeleteThis is an old one! I remember it well from grad school, where the first molecule I worked on was ... NaCl! And yes, these were real, discrete, molecules in the gas phase. They reacted in molecular beams with K, Rb, or Cs to make KCl, RbCl, or CsCl, and we showed that "long lasting complexes" (in physics called "resonances") were produced.
So yes, Virginia, there really ARE NaCl molecules!