Nonadiabatic Quantum Chemistry is a nice Chemical Reviews article by David Yarkony.
It is quite succinct but covers a significant number of specific chemical systems where non-adiabatic effects [including conical intersections] are important and have been treated theoretically.
Here I just mention one example for which theory has failed so far, the vibrationally mediated photodissociation of NH3 (ammonia) to NH2 + H.
Experiments find that if the excited state contains a symmetric (asymmetric) N-H stretch the dominant decay channel is to the NH2 ground state (excited state). Yarkony says that calculations [e.g. this one from Truhlar's group, which contains the figure below] have not yet captured this vibrational selectivity.
I thank Seth Olsen for bringing the article to my attention.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...

No comments:
Post a Comment