It is important that you spend some time thinking and drafting your abstract since the quality of these documents is often solely responsible for whether or not your paper is accepted to a conference, whether or not your research project is approved, and/or whether or not you receive funding for a research project.
Your abstract or prospectus/research proposal is literally a "first impression" to your reader/audience, one that you want to make positively. Thus, you should consider writing more than one draft and beginning your drafting process early.
Typically, an informative abstract answers these questions in 100-250 words:
Why did you do this study or project?
What did you do and how?
What did you find?
What do your findings mean?
If your paper is about a new method or apparatus, the last two questions might be changed to:
What are the advantages (of the method or apparatus)?
How well does it work?
Monday, April 12, 2010
Writing effective abstracts
Work at it.
It is important.
How interesting and clear the abstract is will determine may determine whether or not people read your paper or come to your talk.
Here are a few more tips from the Writing Center from the University of Nevada @ Las Vegas
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
When I went to write an abstract on my JCTC paper for Pacifichem, I realized quickly that the original abstract was 3 times as long as it needed to be. I hope people still read it.
ReplyDeleteThey will because it is a great paper !
ReplyDelete