Sunday, November 22, 2009
Tough times for science in California
My wife brought to my attention an article in the New York Times about the consequences of California's budget woes for the University of California system, and especially Berkeley. People interviewed include Bob Birgeneau (famous for inelastic neutron scattering studies of strongly correlated electron materials, now Chancellor at Berkeley) and Richard Mathies (pioneer in femtosecond spectroscopy, now Dean of the College of Chemistry, Berkeley)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
No comments:
Post a Comment