Stunning and creative microscope images where science meets fashion

The New York Times has a nice obituary Michael W. Davidson, a Success in Microscopes and Neckwear, Dies at 65

I did not know Davidson personally but I did benefit from his art. I visited the National High Magnetic Field Lab at Florida state several times in the 1990s. In appreciation my host Jim Brooks gave me a few of the neckties [which I still wear, on the rare event I actually wear a tie!] and a series of prints of images of  Australian products such as that of Vegemite below. I still have these prints on display in my office.


The website Molecular expressions contains not just a gallery of many beautiful microscope images but also more technical discussions about microscopy.

One thing I did not know about Davidson that I learnt from the obituary was the important role he played in the work for which the Chemistry Nobel Prize of 2014 was awarded.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Herzberg-Teller coupling?

Is it an Unidentified Superconducting Object (USO)?

What should be the order of authors on a conference poster or talk?