This is the main point of a nice article by Roald Hoffmann, that I posted about in the early days of this blog.
I experienced this a few weeks ago. I have been working on a paper with my postdoc Nandan Pakhira about the viscosity of strongly correlated fermion fluids, focussing on the Hubbard model. A basic issue I got quite confused about is the relation between the momentum, Bloch wave vector, and velocity of an electron in a Bloch state. Yet, I when I taught this to my solid state physics class I was reminded of the correct result.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are the assumptions of science?
Science makes assumptions about the nature of the world and the nature of humanity. We are so used to these ideas that we may overlook that...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
I have a naive question about the viscosity. The mechanical momentum is no longer conserved when a lattice is present. In this case, is viscosity still a well defined concept at low energy?
ReplyDeleteHi Yuan Wan,
DeleteThank you for your question. I don't think it is naive, but rather profound.
I think the viscosity is well-defined in a lattice system for the same reason that any "low-energy" macroscopic transport coefficient quantity (cf. conductivity) that is actually defined in a long-wavelength (i.e. continuum) limit.
But, I may be missing something.
Nandan and I are trying to make this clear in the paper we are finishing.