Sunday, July 25, 2010
AC or DC?
Today in Telluride I had some free time and so I hiked up the valley towards Bridal Veil falls. It turns out this is a very historic location because it is the location of the worlds first commercial AC power plant. It was built by Westinghouse and Nikola Tesla. This led to "the war of currents" with General Electric Current (headed by Thomas Edison and J.P. Morgan) who were advocating DC power.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nobel Prize Predictions for 2026
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. Predicting the awardees is a fun annual exercise. It is also good to reflect on what has been achi...
-
This week Nobel Prizes will be announced. I have not done predictions since 2020 . This is a fun exercise. It is also good to reflect on w...
-
Two years ago, I wrote a post about a paper by Wei et al, Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models Then last year, I posted about a pap...
-
Is it something to do with breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation? In molecular spectroscopy you occasionally hear this term thro...
Apparently DC is more efficient.
ReplyDelete