Looking in the mirror

Last week I sat in on the lecture of a colleague, Joel Corney, who I am teaching an undergraduate course, PHYS2020 Thermodynamics and Condensed Matter Physics. I did this to see how he uses "clickers" which provide instant feedback on students levels of understanding.
I was quite impressed and look forward to trying to integrate them into my own teaching of the course, beginning in two weeks. For one thing, I think they keep the students a lot more engaged.

I also provided Joel some feedback on his lecturing. [At UQ, we are encouraged to do this]. One thing I did not expect from this exercise was how helpful it was for me. I tried to see things from the students perspectives and became more aware of a few things I do (or don't do) that I need to work on to improve my teaching. It is always easier to see other's shortcomings than your own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it an Unidentified Superconducting Object (USO)?

What is Herzberg-Teller coupling?

What should be the order of authors on a conference poster or talk?