Friday, February 25, 2011

Solid State Simulations on Mac OSX

I love the software and book Solid State Simulations. I have used it extensively in teaching, particularly as assignment exercises. I have always been delighted and amazed at how much I have learnt from it too! There is no substitute for visualization. Seeing is believing. I still remember the first time I saw electrons and holes going in opposite directions around their respective Fermi surfaces in a magnetic field.

However, I was alarmed a few weeks ago when I found I could not run it on my Mac. I just started installing a trial version of Parallels to see if it I could run it then. [BTW: I could never get registration for the trial version of VMware Fusion to work]. However, I just discovered that is not necessary! An OSX version has just been released. You can download it for free now.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ross, I know this is a very old post, but do you currently have SSS working on either windows or Mac?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I have it working on my Mac.
    Also, students in my class have it running on windows.

    ReplyDelete